Social networking is on the fast track to becoming the most popular way for people to interact with each other, other than texting. Soon it will surpass texting, phone calls, and face-to-face interactions. Some of the more popular sites now are Facebook, Myspace, Friendster, and Tagged.
I like Facebook because it is easy to manage. I don't have to worry about designing a page. My first and last name is shown so people I haven't talked to in a long time can add me easily. It's harder to find people on other sites because they use nicknames and I don't know what nickname they're using. Even though there were concerns about the privacy settings, I'm glad my profile wasn't hacked yet. Most pages have a face attached to it and I can see mutual friends and networks before adding a person I'm unsure about.
Myspace is similar to Facebook when it comes to adding friends. I can see mutual friends before adding a person. I can also see locations to see if I know the person from school or work because I can't always tell based solely on pictures. On Myspace, most people use nicknames so it's harder to find people. I don't like the task of having to decorate my profile page because it's a hassle with so many HTML links to copy and paste in certain places. Lately, Myspace is steadily declining in new memberships as Twitter and Facebook become popular.
Friendster is the best option for people who are bored because there's a lot of games. It is the most organized site out of the other 3 sites. Things are classified into sections rather than scattered all over the page and it's organized for me. It's easier than having to place things in tabs everywhere. The classified section reminds me of Craigslist because there's listings for everything, from cars and houses to nannies and auditions. Even the account settings are simple and easier to understand. I can cancel my account immediately and do not have to confirm cancellation in an email like Myspace and Facebook.
Tagged is also easy to use because I didn't have to create a profile. Anyone can just link their Myspace, Facebook, or Twitter profile to Tagged instead and it does all the account accessing for them. The terms and conditions are really long but there's no catch to it because the details are fully explained. However, when you finally sign on, everything is all over the place in a jumble of pictures. The games are not as interesting. It looks like watered-down versions of CafeWorld and Farmville from Facebook. The profile page is similar to Myspace because I get to design my page with background layouts. There's also an option to become a VIP member for $20/month but I don't think it's necessary unless you're an avid user. The main thing I dislike is that Tagged keeps personal information for up to 6 months even though the account is cancelled.
Out of the 4 sites, I like Facebook the best. It's easy to use even though it's not as organized as Friendster. Friends are easier to find and that's the whole point to joining a social networking site. Second would be Friendster because there are a lot of addictive games that would make me want to stay on there all day. Myspace and Tagged are not as popular so many people may not be on there anymore.
No comments:
Post a Comment