Where to start? From the time I heard about the movie, I wanted to see it. I wanted to know the 4-1-1 behind one of the biggest social networking sites ever. Besides, I figured it'd help with my term paper. The more info, the better, right? Before I start, I have to give it two thumbs up because it was appealing from beginning to end while being informative.
The main character, Mark Zuckerberg came off as a pompous jerk, right from the beginning. He was a Harvard undergrad and genius computer programmer with a smart mouth. The spawn of his booze-filled antics (facemash.com) became such a huge hit around campus that the university was scrambling to shut it down but not before the entire school had access. At this point, you could tell that something big would happen when he became sober.
This is when he decided to write www.thefacebook.com, (now www.facebook.com). At first, it would be a social networking site for Harvard students but because of its huge success, he expanded it to Ivy League schools, and then to all other colleges, and finally world-wide. Along the way, he picked up new business partners (Sean Parker) and lost old friends (Eduardo Saverin). Eduardo wanted to make money of the site and introduce ads but Mark wanted to be famous and wanted to create a site unlike other SN sites that was just for college students. This is where their fall-out came into effect.
As Facebook became a hit, two Harvard classmates, the Winklevoss twins accused Mark of theft of intellectual property because they brought him the idea of HarvardConnect, which was similar to Facebook
In the end, Mark became the youngest billionaire at the expense of true friends, love, and happiness. His ex-girlfriend didn't accept his friend request, his former best friend sued him, and one of his business partners, left him hanging after getting caught up with drug charges. This movie was very "interesting" because it examined the hardships of Mark's life which ultimately produced one of the greatest and most widely known SN site, Facebook.
No comments:
Post a Comment